It seems like the common theme among people’s new years eve social media posts is that 2016 sucked. Each person seems to have a different reason or motive, but they all have the same conclusion, 2016=shitty. I disagree. 2016 was an amazing year for me: a year of self discovery, growth, and change. I married the love of my life, my precious second niece was born, we rescued our puppy dog, and I grew closer to some amazing people. I also went to a therapist for the first time this year (something I probably should have done a long time ago). I learned so many things about myself, and I realized a lot about the people I was surrounding myself with. I learned that sometimes you won’t have all the answers, you won’t have “closure” in some situations, and you just have to let shit go. People will disappoint you, certain situations will tear you down, and sometimes you will fail. It’s ok to feel things. It’s ok to ask for help. However, it is not ok to let someone or something control you. Whether it is a mental illness, a person, a life situation, you are the master of your own fate. You control the outcome. You should be your highest priority, and if someone tells you that’s selfish then that someone isn’t looking out for your best interests. Let them go.
I also don’t understand people’s negativity towards goal setting for the upcoming year. “If you’re waiting for the new year to get moving towards your goals then you’re just going to fail. Start now.” I don’t get this mindset. I love the thought of having a fresh start, a blank slate, a new direction. Does it mean 2016 didn’t exist? No. It means, I’m reflecting on what worked and what didn’t, and I’m adjusting. So make that resolution list, and take control of your life!
Here is my list of things I want to focus more on in 2017:
- Meditation and self-awareness
- Sticking to a stricter gym schedule w/ written goals (I have been feeling really good mentally, and I hope I can continue to overcome the anxiety and self-doubt)
- More self control and awareness when eating (I will still be eating my donuts and pizza, but maybe a little less often 😉 )
- I want to have a house cleaning schedule. I function so much more efficiently when I am in a clean home, and it helps declutter myself mentally when I am decluttered physically. Purging will be the theme of 2017.
- Spending time with Kyle intentionally. We spend a lot of time “together” on the couch watching TV or him playing Xbox while I write or play on my phone. But I want to intentionally invest time and energy in our relationship together with scheduled date nights where we are the focus.
- I want to read more. I used to read books constantly. I couldn’t ever get enough. I want to start reading instead of scrolling through Instagram before bed or watching a re-run of KUWTK or Flip or Flop.
- I want to drink more water.
- I want to start shopping with direction and live more minimally. Instead of buying something because I like it, whether it be furniture, clothes, or household items, I want to buy because I LOVE it and have a purpose for it.
- I want to get outside more. I want to walk Georgia at the park or run along the Chattahoochee or hike a new trail. I want to absorb that good ol’ Vitamin D.
- I want to eat less red meat and try alternate, non-meat options for protein. I’d like to start working “meatless mondays” into my meal schedule, and see how my body feels.
I’m sure this list will flex and change throughout the year. I just want 2017 to be a year of new adventures, open-mindedness, and flexibility.
What are some of y’all’s goals this new year?